Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Hey everyone! Read My Article!

From observation, I've deduced that journalists use Twitter for the following:
1. shameless self promotion (like the title of this blog post)
2. posting links
3. communication to friends/other journalists
4. sneak peaks of stories in progress
5. personal info (this is what I'm doing now and this is where I am (i.e. "I'm stuck in an elevator in between floors" or "Eating cupcakes with mah dawgs yo" (truthfully, though, I haven't found any journalists that tweet in Ebonics. . . yet))

Most of the journalists use some combination of the above (almost always including #1). I've noticed that the tech-heavy journalists tend to share more articles, but that may just be because of the set that I chose.
Twitter allows good inter-journalist communication. From what I've noticed, each journalist tends to have a niche that they're interested in. This makes Twitter a great networking device for journalists, say if they want to write an article about a certain something and they just happen to know that one of the Twitterers that they follow is very knowledgeable about the subject.

This is what I've come up with, however, I've heard a lot about people getting late breaking news from Twitter updates. This isn't so relevant to tech news, it seems, but nonetheless it's something to consider. I'm sure the first person to get the iPad tweeted about it right away. Perhaps some would consider that late breaking news.

By the by, a list of people that I'm following can be found at www.twitter.com/jrodohh9/journalists/members

No comments:

Post a Comment