Monday, April 19, 2010

Reading in Print vs. Online

I really do not like reading online. There are so many advertisements and links that I find it hard to concentrate on the actual article. The columns of text squeeze around boxes and completely stop and restart. The publishers obviously have the ability to advertise throughout the article, something they do not do in print because you are paying for the book. I find the advertisement a nuisance and would pay the money to have the article in print so I'm not distracted. Reading the article in print is much easier. I don't have to guess where the text is going to pick up next. I think it would be possible for me to enjoy online books and articles if I could download them and read them away from the internet.
Reading a book in print provides a much more intimate connection between the reader and the work. I feel that this material was created by someone else specifically for me. I can cherish or dislike the material because it is mine. Online, I feel very exposed and uncomfortable when I let my mind become close with material I am reading. There are sometimes when I prefer this collective atmosphere: world news, weather or medical advice. I feel like I can experience these topics with humanity because we are all experiencing the same struggles. In these cases, I feel more connected. But with opinions and personal, unique experiences, I like the comfort of the exchange of information between the author and me.

No comments:

Post a Comment