Monday, April 26, 2010

Maintaining Relationships

There were three things that struck me the most about the "Why I Blog" article:
1. 'blog' comes from 'web-log' (?!)
2. the art, per say, of blog posting
3. the complicated relationships between the blogger and the blog reader

I suppose that the first point doesn't warrant much explanation, so we'll get on to 2 (admittedly, though the web-log was kind of an epiphany for me). Throughout the article, Andrew Sullivan stresses what blogging is about: immediacy, spontaneity, and personality. A polished, un-biased article posted a few days after the event isn't in demand. People want writers with an opinion and they want it now.

The relationship between a writer and a reader is far more complicated and strenuous than any marriage, homo or heterosexual relationship than I've ever witnessed (I've seen my fair share, trust me). When writing was solely in print, writers rarely received direct critique from their audience, besides, perhaps, the occasional letter to the editor. Suddenly, with a comments section of the blog, writers received a rude awakening. Many people disagreed with their writing and weren't afraid to show it. It was difficult to transition from receiving critique from the publisher to the wrath of an anonymous audience. However, not everyone on the internet is out to get the blogger. Many people post links, suggest stories, and discuss. Then, the blogger wants to encourage discussion to get more people to visit his site.

I suppose this isn't too striking of a relationship for most. I just thought it was so simple: I post, you read. But, I guess it's always more complicated than you think.

No comments:

Post a Comment